Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tahoe Trek: Day 3

We hit up two National Parks on this day with a lot of hours in the car in between.  The first was Carlsbad Caverns.  It was really neat and amazing how huge these open spaces were underground.  I had never been in a cavern before, only caving, so this was a new experience.  We opted for taking the elevator down the 50 some odd stories into the main chamber and then Mary and I ended up carrying the kids for the mile-ish hike.  It was fantastic but I'm glad it wasn't any longer cause I'm not sure if the 2 and 3 year old would have make it.  I think we only got talked to once about keeping the kids quiet as sound tends to echo in the caverns.  Next stop was at White Sands National Monument and it was amazing!  I have been here once before and I would come here again!  Even though it was over 100 degrees outside, the sand was not too hot to walk on and we had a ball climbing up the dunes and racing down to the bottom.  The campsite this night was set back in the Organ Mountains and although still pretty hot, there was a breeze (read: wind) to help keep us cool.  As we did the night before, we decided not to warm up our dinner but just eat it cold since we were already so hot.  I think after this evening, I was really looking forward to some nice ice water.




















No comments:

Post a Comment